Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The BEZL and iphone cases

In my last post I brought up kickstarter. I plan on writing a full long boring post on kickstarter later but  for this post I figured I would talk about a specific product I found in my searches. It is a iphone case and before I get into specifics about being an iphone user.

There is a stigma attached to the iphone (and apple products in general) as it being trendy, overpriced, elitist and so on and so forth. The assumption of apple users is that they are the brainwashed masses muting anything and everything with an apple logo on it. I am not arguing against these people, they certainly exist.
They always have.
Via http://dadsaretheoriginalhipster.tumblr.com


Everyone who owns any apple product, however, is not a diehard fanboy. I got my iphone because it isa fairly impressive camera for a smart phone and it was easier to bring over the apps I bought on my iPod touch. For those two causes it works fine. My angry birds and rope cutting are intact and while it's not the most full featured camera but the image quality is decent enough to be worthwhile.
Pretty flower illustrates point and smells nice
So cagey defense of my choice of mobile out device of the way I will talk about the silicone ark of the covenants we are forced to wrap our phones in.

Now even with a somewhat suspect warranty in place dropping your glass in front and back phone would cause some issues to say the least.

So a case is an essential product. Also if you are one of the 10% of the population born left handed or you just hold the phone in a certain way bars can drop dramatically. Since I don't typically go mountain climbing I do need one of those tank cases that people insist on. I just go with a screen protector and a fancy case. The issue I run into is that since I use my phone as my camera the flash is inhibited by the case. This is where the BEZL kickstarter comes in.

All the information for the BEZL is available here at it's kickstarter page.

The condensed version is that the bezl is a case that isn't a case. It consists of four plastic pieces covering the four edges of the phone. This maintains the visual aesthetic of the phone with a minimalist design which is always good for us elitist apple folk.

How well it works is up in the air, as it is just a prototype for now the only person to test the product is the person asking for the donations but it's a solid idea so there is no cause for major concern.

It's a nifty idea and with it being a kickstarter you only get charged if it reaches its goal. So really you are only pitching in a hypothetical amount of money for the next month. So if you don't have an iphone and like to gamble throw some cash at this and see if it's still in your account in the next month.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I did a similar one, focusing briefly on the case-vs-no-case debate, but I really like your writing style better. Keep it up!

    Maybe add a button so I can subscribe / sign up to your blog for new posts? (I just copied the blog address and added it to google reader)

    http://whereisholden.blogspot.com/2012/05/to-case-or-not-to-case.html

    ReplyDelete